Tuesday, April 1, 2008

organising digital photos

I have 1000's of photos filed in my.pictures and every time I went to look for one, I'd have to scroll through all of them so I sat down and came up with a solution.

This takes a bit of time to set up, but once it's in place, it will make the filing of your digital photos (and retrieval) a thousand times better.

  • First create a FOLDER for every year you have digital photos e.g. 2006, 2007, 2008
  • Then move all your photos to the corresponding folder
  • Then within the year folder, you need to label your folders:
  • So that they appear in month order e.g. Jan to Dec (as the computer lists your folders either alphabetically or numberically) label your folders like this: 1. Jan 2008, 2. Feb 2008, 3. Mar 2008...

For an even better labelling system, you can add more information like the event the photos were of, of if they were of your daughter or son add their name, so they can find their photos easily e.g. 1. Jan 2008 - Qld holiday, 2. Feb 2008 - Imogen, 2. Feb 2008 - Club soccer - Cameron, 3. Mar 2008 - Girls weekend - Tricia, 4. Apr 2008 - Easter holidays...

By adding the number 1. Jan the computer lists these in order, so it's so much easier to go back and find photos. Also by having the year in 1 folder, you can easily copy this folder to a disc to have a back-up of your photos and you can also copy the disc to put in a file for each of your children so they have a complete set of photos (for that glorious day when they leave home).

Let me know how you go, am happy to help you if you're not sure how to create and move within your folders. T

1 comment:

familyvalue said...

What a fantastic idea! I have been meaning to organise my digital photos for years! This year I am determined to get around to it! I just actually backed up all my photos onto disk as I fear my computer is going to 'crash' and I'll lose everything!